About Me

My photo
Mother, wife, explorer, crafter, teacher and lover of life.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Teaching Kids About Giving Back


Oh my sweet strawberry goodness, my new blog background is SO cute! Check out the link in my upper left to snag one for yours!

So, what about the adorable kid in that video up there? Today I am so happy to share with you something so very special you can do with your child and that is giving back. We have a friend named Jonas who is 7. Jonas' mom Renee started taking him on her monthly trips to feed the homeless when he was small and last year he was saddened and inspired by some children he witnessed come through the line. The next thing you know, Jonas had started his own charity organization called Love In The Mirror, through which he has gathered and dispensed food, clothing, blankets, toiletries and other necessities to youth and adults in need ever since. We have been honored to be a part of some of his efforts, including the hosting of 2 super fun parties at our house in the past year to gather donations and educate the youth in our lives.

The first party we did was at Christmas so we did a cookie decorating party. Eliza made cookies and lots of different frosting, my aunt donated pizzas and we had other snacks and fun set up in our yard. We asked everyone to bring a new or used toy to donate to needy children. The thing to remember about hosting a charity party is that not only is it unnecessary to go overboard on decorations, food or entertainment, it's downright ridiculous. You could give that money and time to someone in need instead! So what you get is a great reason to gather your friends for a fun time together everyone can feel good about at the end of the day. And there's no stress included!

Here are a few photos from our cookie party:



The man and founder of LITM, Jonas Corona!


The messy, fun cookie table


Eliza wrapped this box to collect the donations for Jonas- it was definitely not a big enough box! :)


Fun, fun, fun!




The second time we did a similar set up but this time Jonas thought we should make sock puppets! How fun! We supplied craft supplies and snacks and everyone brought new socks for needy kids. I wish I had photos of that event but can't seem to find them... I'll add them later if I do.

This morning my family went to help Jonas' family feed and clothe the homeless downtown for the first time. People who want to give gather early in the morning on the first Saturday of every month to give those who line up hot food, blankets, clothing, whatever they can gather. I could see right away why Jonas was so inspired. I was too. I wasn't sure if Sunny was too young for that experience yet but she did very well and was a great little helper, handing out water bottles and entertaining those in line. It is a great thing to expose children to, as it is easy to spoil a little one- they require so little, and yet there are those out there who have nothing. We're not sure she fully understands yet but she knew why we were there and was happy to help and that's a great start. Before they open the line everyone gathers to hold hands and say a prayer. I'm not particularly religious but I felt a surge of warm, positive power in that chain of hands. You can't save the world but you can feel better about your place in it if you just try even a little to set things right. It also made me feel wonderful to see my own small child participating in that chain.

Jonas is currently doing a school supply drive so I've got some ideas percolating in my upstairs for a fun party to help collect those things, as well as putting my feelers out to anyone willing to donate blankets, socks, toiletries or clothing for our next trip downtown next month.

If you are still reading (is anyone reading?), please comment if you have any experiences with or helpful tips regarding the things I post about. Please share! I would love to see my blog become an interactive space for fellow parents, crafters and lovers of life!




1 comment:

  1. I'm reading! I'm reading! I love it here--and already. :-)

    I've never had a party for charity, but now I want to do just that. Way to get my brain churning!

    One very simple thing that I do though is point out the boxes, jars and such that are placed in our local establishments like the shoe collection box at the gym or the cancer research jar at the grocery store. I take a moment to explain to the kiddos why these charities exist and ask if there's anything they can think of that we could do to help. Or I just think out loud as I add my coins to the jar: "This change will just get lost in my purse. So instead, I think I'll put it in this jar, so it can help doctors find ways to make sick kids feel better."

    ReplyDelete